Founded 1994 in Pretoria with its main focus on developing retail centres and commercial buildings.
Co-founded Attfund (Unlisted Regional Shopping Centre Fund) in 2002 - (43% owned by Atterbury Group) and sold to Hyprop in 2011.
Formed Attacq (formerly known as Atterbury Investment Holdings) in 2005 with main assets shareholding in Attfund and development rights in other Atterbury developments.
Acquired Waterfall Developments Rights from Islamic Institure in 2008.
Acquired 50% in Bagatelle land, Mauritius, in 2009.
Developed first regional shopping centre in Mauritius - opened September 2011.
Currently employs more than a 100 people from a variety of professions.
Attacq was listed in October 2013.
AchievementsAtterbury is proud of its exemplary track record, as acknowledged by its peers in the commercial and industrial property industry. Awards include:
- Numerous PMR Diamond Awards for "Best Developer" (2003 - 2013);
- SAPOA "Best Social Investment Project" (2007);
- "Largest Property Developer", as voted by Financial Mail (2006 - 2009);
- The Investment Property Databank (IPD) award for best commercial and overall performer for the past 3 years (2008 - 2011);
- Construction World - Best project ten-year award for Bagatelle - Mall of Mauritius (2011);
- Steel construction awards - Deloitte head office at Riverwalk won the Light Steel frame category and architectural category (2012); and
- Louis van der Watt received the TuksAlumni Laureaat award for 2012.
The Atterbury Group was founded in 1994 by Louis van der Watt, current CEO of the Atterbury Group and Francois van Niekerk, first Chairman of the Atterbury Investment Holdings (now known as Attacq) Board.
Louis van der Watt
Group CEO - Atterbury Property Holdings, Executive Director - Attacq
In 2009 Louis received the Christo Wiese Medal for outstanding Entrepreneurship from the South African Academy for Science and Arts.
Louis received the Beeld / Rapport Young Entrepeneur award at age 16 in 1983.
Francois van Niekerk
Co-Founder of Atterbury
Francois was educated at the University of Stellenbosch and the Unisa SBL, is the co-founder of Atterbury and Chairman of Attacq from inception to 2012.
He is the founder and current Chairman of the Mertech Group and the Mergon Foundation. Francois served or is serving on several boards, was a council member of Unisa until 2012 and received a number of academic-, business- and philanthrophy awards.
Chairman - Attacq Limited and Atterbury Property Holdings
Previously the CEO of Deloitte Consulting in South Africa Pierre also served on their Global Management Committees and Transition Board. He was also a Board member of Deloitte & Touche in South Africa as well as of Deloitte Private Client Advisors.
Pierre is currently an Executive Director of Barnstone Capital, a group of companies he co-founded in 2005 that specialises in Technology and Strategic advisory services, as well as Maxwell Technology a company providing satellite based broadband communication in Africa.