A perfect 10
The winter chill has settled in, but at The Club there is always something to do to warm the cockles of the heart, if not the toes! Aside from the trusty Woolies complete with café, which we all rely on, and the customer-friendly shopping hours and 45 minutes of free parking, here is our list of the ten best things to do at The Club this winter…
- Sit down for a warming meal… or two! The Club offers such variety that there’s something for every palate and mood, but you don’t get any hotter than chilli, so on a laid-back afternoon head for the relaxing vibe at Harissa Bistro. It’s named after the North African hot chilli pepper paste, which is a staple in many items on the menu here. We recommend the Beef Penne Pasta (with sliced fillet, peppers, chillies, Napolitana sauce and Parmesan) and also their take on a Bunny Chow, which comes with butternut chakalaka and tomato atchar. Or go all out with red wine and top-notch red meat at Hinterland… have a juicy rump with béarnaise sauce and a delicious glass of Rust & Vrede Merlot and you won’t even feel the cold any more.
- Hydrate your parched winter skin. The dry Highveld winter air sucks all the moisture out of your skin, so make a date at SkinPhd for their HydroPlump K2 Treatment, which uses Vitamin K2 bio technology to instantly increase moisture and anti-oxidant levels. They say it will visibly plump out fine lines and wrinkles and also refine your pores, which sounds like the best antidote to the winter onslaught. There is also a Sorbet in the centre, where you can start with a free face-mapping to find out exactly what your skin needs are.
- Get moving and work up a sweat! At FitFirst you’ll be put through your paces in short, effective, high-intensity interval training that will leave you not only feeling warmer, but will help you become leaner, fitter and more energised. And best of all, it’s only 30 minutes. Planet Fitness is also opening soon, and will offer one week’s free membership to anyone who wants to give gym a try – no excuses to stay cold, stiff and miserable!
- Soak up some culture…in the sun! The sunny courtyard at the heart of the Club will be hosting the Fascinating Faces pop-up art exhibition from 4 to 6 August, 11:00 to 16:00. Enjoy a glass of bubbly and some live music while browsing through magnificent art pieces.
- Sip some craft gin, and donate a blanket! Okay, the two are not related, but if you haven’t tried fragrant, full-bodied floral-based Inverroche Amber 35 gin, make sure you pop over to Hogshead for a wintery cocktail. They’ve partnered with Round Table SA to do a blanket drive, so bring along a blanket to keep someone less fortunate warm this winter.
- Welcome an old friend home… Pachas, one of Pretoria’s most loved restaurants, has made a comeback at The Club! Come for lunch or dinner and chase away the winter blues with a hearty Gemsbok Schnitzel with a red-wine, bacon and mushroom sauce, or our favourite, the legendary Duck Fuji.
- Who says milkshakes are just for summer? Hudsons has a reputation for creating shakes that will move your world… huge, yummy and with inventive flavours such as Cookie Monster or salted caramel popcorn. Give it a go, we promise they’ll knock your winter socks off.
- Tame your dry winter tresses. Flyaway winter hair driving you up the wall? The hair magicians at Paul Mitchell with its exclusive John Paul Mitchell Systems will treat your hair with love and gentle care, just like their products which is no-cruelty, not tested on animals. Find them in a bigger, better space in shop 105.
- Eat like an emperor… the gorgeously decorated Life Grand Café is now boasting black rice salmon rolls and you don’t even have to be royalty to enjoy it! Black rice originates from China and it was quite a different story back in the days of the Chinese empires, when “forbidden rice” as it was called, was reserved for emperors.
- Move in during winter, and stay for the summer! The Workspace offers collaborative, open-plan workspaces perfect for freelancers, entrepreneurs and small-business owners. Your coworking desk comes with a stylish interior, high-speed fibre internet connectivity, telecommunication infrastructure, and a range of support services. This winter, become part of a community of inspiring professionals, and you might just have new friends come summer!