The 2017 edition of the annual Gerhard Van der Westhuizen Golf Day was again a huge success. The main beneficiary of this popular fund raising initiative is Melti Grobler, with participation from JakarandaFM’s Good Morning Angels.
Melti is a five-year-old boy who urgently requires a bone marrow transplant, a procedure that costs R1m. He has already faced two onslaughts of leukaemia and if he falls ill again he’s only got a 1 in 10 chance of survival.
- Money raised for Melti at this golf day: R310 000
- Existing funds for Melti’s bone marrow transplant: R670 000
- Total: R1m
- Result: Melti can undergo his life-saving bone marrow transplant
Other interesting statistics from the golf day:
- Players: 144
- Four balls: 36
- Winning four ball: WBHO
- Additional beneficiary: Atterbury Trust (R75 000) as well as a student at Hoerskool Garsfontein R25,000
- Total Funds raised at the golf day = R410,000
- Plans for 2018: The Sunflower Fund is next year’s beneficiary